[PD] how to set variable types

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 31 01:51:56 CEST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

>> dealt with by compiling PD with an X11 version of Tcl/Tk and some other
>> junk, but honestly I've been too busy performing and making sound the
>> last year to try to sort out all of OSX's problems.
>
> But OSX is so sharp-looking!  lol

Speaking of which, I think that Pd looks worse on OSX than on Linux,
mainly due to anti-aliasing. All boxes look blurry and dim. This is
because the anti-aliasing is done without any kerning. Kerning is the
rounding of pixel positions done to minimize the amount of anti-aliasing
required. This is because raw anti-aliasing always gives that blurry
effect that tires the eye.

About the speed: Tcl/Tk on OSX includes a fake X11 library which is a
translation layer so that Tk doesn't have to be rewritten for OSX. That
layer shouldn't take much CPU in theory, but I don't know how it's been
implemented. May someone who cares about OSX figure out why that X11/OSX
layer sucks. This problem is distinct from the superfluous canvas
redrawing that happens on all platforms, but the two problems cumulate to
create some kind of disaster.