[PD] Human interface Devices for PD

hans at eds.org hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 31 07:18:55 CEST 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 6:43 PM, thewade wrote:

> Quoting Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>:
>
>> thewade wrote:
>>>
>>> What would be even better would be if someone can point me to a
>>> kit  I could build myself that I could hook up to a variable
>>> resistor,  like a pan-pot, that could interface with PD in a
>>> continuous way  (obviously there would be some sampling rate
>>> involved).
>>>
>> The attached schematic shows the simplest way I've found to make a
>> MIDI
>> interface. The PIC 16F88 has 7 analog channels (pins RA4-0 and RB7
>> and
>> 6) that could be interfaced to potentiometers of less than about
>> 10kilohms for 10-bit resolution. If you have access to a PIC
>> programmer
>> I can provide the code in an open-source way.
>>
>> Martin
>
> Thanks Martin!
>
> With all the work that I imagine goes into designing a custom MIDI
> interface I usually just find some cheap MIDI keyboards on ebay and
> chop them up, but then again I don't know much about MIDI.
>
> Maybe you can answer a couple of general questions for me?
>
> Is MIDI capable of doing continuous stuff?
>
> What is it's maximum sampling/transmission rate for MIDI?
>

> Thanks for the schematic! I think what intimidated me most is the
> interfacing of the software to the hardware: my C/C++ code is a bit
> rusty...
> That schematic is pretty cool though! So many possabilities!

I think the Arduino will serve you very well for this.  Its US$30
assembled and you can do what you want with it.  You could do midi
with it if you really wanted, but I think MIDI mostly gets in the way
these days, unless you are using MIDI hardware like old synths, etc.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith