[PD] Re: PD and HID: Arduino

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 31 19:45:59 CEST 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 6:32 PM, thewade wrote:

> Greetings Hans!
>
> I have learned from the net (and from Toby - Thanks Toby!) that you
> know a great deal about Human Interface Devices and interfacing
> thoes devices with software.
>
> I am hoping to be able to interface basic electronics like pan-pots
> and other vairable resistances with PD in a continuous way, and I
> have learnt a little about Arduino and saw that you have written an
> external for PD to inerface with this device.
> I have a couple of questions I hope you don't mind me asking of you...
>
> 1) Does your external work in Linux, and if so does it work with
> the serial or USB version of Arduino, or both serial and USB?

It consists of a Pd patch and an Arduino firmware, so it will work on
any platform.  USB or serial is fine.

> 2) I saw a note in your patch in the Arduino site that the
> interface can drain some CPU power: is Arduino the best interface
> for PD and various sensors in your opinion?

"Best" depends on a lot of things.  Arduino is cheap, easy, and can
do a lot.  Its definitely a great way to start.  Then when you have
stuff working, you can think about which is the best.  It might
actually be the Arduino, or it might not.

.hc

> Thanks for witing the external and doing all kinds of research!
> Viva open-source!
> -thewade

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.