[PD] array copy speed test

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue Aug 1 12:12:44 CEST 2006

> > Now that I think about it, how much with SIMD/altivec help to speed up
> > the Pd internals for something like this? That would be very nice indeed.
>
> Tim showed some benchmarks in winter ... maybe he can post them to the
> list ...

i've posted the slides of my presentation (german language, sorry) to:
http://puredata.org/Members/timblech/slidesiem/

speedups in short are:
linear operations (copy, set, vector math):
1.2 - 3

linearizable operations (clip, min/max, sign, denormal bashing):
3 - 4

accumulating operations (envelope following):
2 - 3

special operations (rsqrt, rcp):
8

however, lately i've been implementing these algorithms with
compile-time loop unrolling using c++ template metaprogramming
techniques, which gives another performance boost of about 1.2 to 1.5,
depending on the block size ...

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
  Jack Kerouac