[PD] bang and zero?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 1 13:25:07 CEST 2006

Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I noticed that sometimes a bang message gets converted to zero but not
> always. for example if I send a bang to a number object it dosn't change
> anything, but if I pass the bang through a pipe object first it changes
> the number to zero. Does anyone know why?

this is because [pipe] is similar to [pack]: you have to specify the
type on object creation and the types are then fixed.
e.g. [pipe f s 100] can only be used for lists consisting of one float
number followed by one symbol, with a delay of 100ms.
[pipe] is synonymous to [pipe f 0] (0ms delay of 1 floatingpoint number)
banging the [pipe] object will therefore convert the "bang" to a default
number "0".
is you bang a [pipe s 0], you will get a default symbol "symbol".

if you want to delay bangs, use [delay], or [select] the number output
by [pipe] into a bang.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes