[PD] array copy speed test

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Aug 1 21:44:08 CEST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 5:28 AM, geiger wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> well, as pd is a purely interpreted language, i doubt that you can
>>> improve it without writing a compiler for pd patches ... and even
>>> then ... if you'll have overhead for stack management and message
>>> handling ...
>>> a pure c or even simd implementation will always be way faster ...
>>
>> Anyone feel like SIMDifiying [arraycopy] (hint hint ;).  I suppose
>> vasp is a SIMD version of [arraycopy].
>
> SIMD doesn't help in copying data. And in any case, introducing
> platform dependend code is only advisable in cases where it really
> matters.
>
> Is there a special reason you want an ultrafast arraycopy ?

I have a patch that records to a large buffer, then copies chunks of
the buffer array to other arrays, where they are then individually
controlled.  I am hoping to do be able to do this very frequently,
like 10+ times a second.  I would also like to be able to run this
patch on PCs that I find on the street here, like Pentium III 600 MHz.