[PD] tabread4~ help

briencrean at eircom.net briencrean at eircom.net
Tue Aug 1 23:36:19 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I’m struggling with understanding how the tabread4~ object works. I’m still pretty new to pd.

I have read through the examples and the documentation and searched through some of the archive but I still don’t fully get it!

I want to understand this object and also use it (or another object) to apply real-time effects to samples and use it as lookup table.

The problems I have are:

1.How do you know what size to specify for the array that tabread4~ will read from for different length soundfiles?

-Do I always use the output from soundfiler as the length of the array - 2?

2.Again regarding the length, taking the example B07.sampler.pd, what happens if the length of the sound file changes? Do I need to change the value I am multiplying by or is that dependant on the sampling rate of the audio file?

-For example I changed the array range 0 to 62078 in the 1st attached patch for the same sound file (voice.wav) which is the full length of that file (1 second), it seems to sound ok when the number box is dragged

Also I experimented with attaching a phasor object to the inlet, 2nd patch attached, to cycle through at different speeds. Even though when viewing the voice.wav file in media player it is a second long but when using the line object I need to specify a message of  62709 in 1400 milli seconds for it to sound right?

Sorry to barrage you guys with so many questions.

Thanks guys!

Brien

Find the home of your dreams with eircom net property
Sign up for email alerts now http://www.eircom.net/propertyalerts