[PD] tabread4~ help

Ben Saylor bensaylor at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 3 04:30:31 CEST 2006

padawan12 wrote:

> Substituting the time in the message
>
>     time -------
>    /           |
> [1, $1(   rate |
> |         |    |
> [line~]   [*    ] time in seconds
> |        /
> [*~     ]
> |
> [tabread~]
>

> Now you can vary your rate and time.

One possible problem with this is that if you vary the rate, the
position will jump.  So you can't really use it to change the pitch of a
sample while it's playing.  I've often run into this problem (also with
things other than sample playback) and had a desire for a line object
that would take a target value and a *rate* (slope) at which to approach
it, rather than a time.  Perhaps even allowing a signal to control the
rate.   My susloop~ external can do this, but it's kind of a pain when
all you want is a line~ with a rate/slope control.  Does such an object
exist?

Ben