[PD] arrays on 64 bit

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Aug 4 16:23:13 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, carmen wrote:
> On Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 08:08:33PM -0700, thewade wrote:
> > W00T! Thanks GG!
>
> agreed. definitely one of the cooler patches to show up on the tracker
> in a long time ;)
>
> are arrays the only thing (including externals) that assume
> sizeof t_word == t_pointer == long == t_float?

I assume, but I don' t really know. I am not actively using my
64 bit machine anymore, because it is a bit old and slow (533Mhz and
terribly small cache).

I assume that externals that deal with arrays have in general the same
problem as the pd builtin objects.

> altho table is certainly
> the most obvious thing to notice, pd seemed pretty unstable on 64bit,
> perhaps stack corruption or something..

mhm, might be that some of the datastructure stuff has problems. If you
say unstable you mean crashing right ? Would be interesting if this is
a problem of pd itself or some externals. If you are going to do tests,
maybe you can start pd inside gdb and do a "bt".

> > Now I just need to find a week so I can reainstall everything again,
> this time in 64-bit mode..

Yeah, I recommend to do that on an extra hard drive/partition.
There might still be some problems left.

Günter