[PD] Re: Wacom tablet on OS X to HID, but not to cursor

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 4 17:13:01 CEST 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 4:13 AM, Rich E wrote:

> I just got a Wacom Intuos3 and I'm curious to learn how to get all its
> features working in Pd / Mac.  So far, I can get relative x/y movement
> and three buttons with Mac's built-in driver and [hid], but nothing
> else works.  Kinda just like a mouse for right now.  I also don't get
> anything in Pd with the Wacom driver.

On Mac OS X, you won't get anything if you install the Wacom driver
because Wacom decided to make their own API instead of using Apple's
HID API.  So someone would need to write an object for the Wacom API
in order for tablets to work with the Wacom drivers.  Any
volunteers?  I'd help where I can, you might be able to get some Max
source code to start from.  Ideally, we could get everything working
with the Apple HID drivers.  I just got access to a big fat Wacom, so
I plan on working on this in the next couple months.

> Hans,
>
> Would you mind sharing what steps you took to get the tablet working
> correctly in Linux?  So far the only directions I've found (on the
> Linux-Wacom website) haven't been to successful... they also suggest
> recompiling my kernel to support the wacom driver.  Not too willing to
> do that.

IIRC, I just did this: "modprobe wacom" with a stock Debian kernel.
It was quite easy, actually.  Something like this:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/loadwacom

.hc