[PD] Fwd: tabread4~ problem or is it just me?

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 06:48:54 CEST 2006

Okay, very briefly, I found some  things.

This post here discusses the limits to tables based on the 24 bit(?)
value used to store
http://elists.resynthesize.com/pd-list/2006/05/1602049/

1) If you use openpanel with soundfiler to load a sound
it is automatically truncated to 4000000 samples, which
is about 1 min 30 secs at standard SR. There is a maxlimit
value for resize, but imho this 4000000 default is not a coincidence,
there must be a reason for someobody setting it there
and I bet you a pint it's something to do with your problem.

2) Writing a test tone to the table for about 3 mins gave me
an interesting result. When I play it back, regardless of how
much data is written to the table the playback continues beyond
the point of the recording, as if it is looping. But it isn't.
In fact I modified the test tone to a slow sweep to try and detect
a jump, but there isn't one. I think this is quite weird. Taking
a snapshot of the index shows that it keeps increasing linearly.

3) After a while I start hearing high frequency distortions. Are these
the problems you experience?

Included is the sweep test for you to play with.

My advice is to use disk storage, if your problem
allows that.