[Pd] Infernal symbols

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 6 19:58:09 CEST 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

>> > [symbol]
>
> Wow, thanks, this does make sense now.
> I still don't grasp why and when Pd seems to arbitrarily insert the
> word "symbol" or "list" instead of treating the symbol as a
> meta-message...

This is not a behaviour defined by the pd kernel, it's a behaviour defined
by [symbol].

[symbol] has a wildcard method (aka "anything") which picks up any lone
selector (except the ones that the wildcard can't catch, of course) and
treats it as a symbol.

Personally, I don't like that behaviour, because it doesn't work for all
possible selectors, and tends to confuse people on what a selector is.