[PD] Vradio issues.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 7 09:31:50 CEST 2006

Hallo,
padawan12 hat gesagt: // padawan12 wrote:

> 1) Dollar arguments aren't necessary in things
> like float boxes, the float takes the value given
> at its rightmost inlet if a float type is there.
> No need to "dereference" it, it's not in a list,
> and even if it were a list with one float becomes
> a float.

However in loopcut.pd the dollar signs do serve a purpose: You can
call the abstraction with arguments like [loopcut 20 500] to
initialize the default start and end values.

> 3) You need to study how bangs propagate a bit more.
> I know it's not obvious, takes a bit of experience.
> Basically nothing happens until a leftmost inlet
> gets a bang. Using [t b f] units to split the bangs
> from the floats I've arranged it so the start and end
> list (pair) gets [pack]ed afresh when *either* input
> is updated.

There still is a bug. ;)

One should *always* get nervous if more than one message connection
leaves a single outlet. This is practically always indicating a logic
error.

Here two connections come out of the [f] object in your patch. Pd more
or less randomly decides which one will act first. It may be, that the
one connected to the left [/ ]-object will fire first, then the one to
the right [/ ]. In that case, [pack 0 0] will first send a list
composed of the new first value but an *old* second value because the
second inlet will receive its division result after pack has fired.
And that could make your tablplay play backwards.

Ciao