[PD] PD list for beginners

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 8 00:20:33 CEST 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Josh Lawrence wrote:

> I am an absolute beginner to pd.  I've been lurking on this list for a
> month or so, hoping to learn something, but I'm finding that this list
> is very advanced for my level of knowledge.

A lot of topics are discussed here that should be taken to the pd-dev
list: things like what pd should become, and how to invent new
externals... sometimes it starts with an innocent question on pd-list and
there's just no urge to spread threads over two mailing-lists just to
shield beginners from getting scared ;-)

A lot of topics are advanced but not in the way that is suitable for
pd-dev; e.g. lots of math stuff.

The solution is to just delete the mails that you really don't understand,
so that you don't waste time, and to try deciphering the mails that you
sort of understand, so that you learn (unless the topic is really boring).

> Could you all direct me to a list that handles more basic/newbie/etc.
> issues with pd?  FWIW, I am a Linux user.

There would be the mailing-list of the Montréal users group, but then,
it's sort of reserved for people who live in Montréal, around Montréal,
and/or who speak French.