[PD] physical computing: Lanbox, Arduino, Teleo...? (looking for miditron alternative)

tim info at timvets.net
Tue Aug 8 03:46:41 CEST 2006

Dear List,

We are making installations with moving objects controlled by motors,
lights, sound, environmental input.
The main software is PureData, and the interface we used until now was
the Miditron from eroktronix, and a bunch of homebrew relay cards.
Because of reliability issues we are looking for an alternative.
The LanBox LCE at first seemed like a good candidate but apparently it
doesn't support input signals.
We need inputs to monitor the position of the objects/motors.
The LanBox LCX might be a better choice because it has 8 digital ins and
outs. (are these also DMX channels?->yes we're DMX illiterate...)
Maybe DMX isn't the right choice alltogether, is there a beter alternative?
Is Arduino reliable for example? How about Teleo from makingthings.com ?

A shortlist of what we need to be able to do:
controlling 3 Motors 220 volt, 25 watt each (left/right, start/stop)
controlling 3 TL tubes (on/of)
inputs from 6 end of line switches to monitor the positions.
input from movement sensor

In general it should be robust and reliable, preferably no detour via
MIDI, so a USB or ethernet based system.
Also, if possible, we want to avoid too much soldering...

to get an idea of what the installations look like, go to:
http://www.timvets.net/projects/erkiandtim/cl/citylights2.html

any suggestions greatly appreciated,
Tim