[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 8 11:17:25 CEST 2006

Hallo,
matthew jones hat gesagt: // matthew jones wrote:

> > A double-clickable jar-style format would be good to do so that you can
> > include more than one file.
>
> I second that!  Distribution of patches which include other patches,
> specific abstractions and externals would be peasy and clean with some kind
> of packaged format like that.

It could be clean without a packaged format as well, it just involves
a bit of organization. One could for example put all used abstractions
and externals in subdirectories. A possible layout could look like this:

README.txt
MYAPP.pd
.abs/
""" directory for abstractions in use """
 .abs/abstraction1.pd
 .abs/abstraction2.pd
 .abs/abstraction3.pd
.ext/
""" dir for uncommon externals """
  .ext/external.pd_linux
  .ext/external.dll
  .ext/external.pd_darwin

Then just tarzip it, and let the user untarzip it. Users are smart,
they will figure out how to untarzip an archive.

The *real* problem is, how to find out which abstractions and
externals are actually used. I tend to have one or more directories of
abstractions that I use in many patches. It would be nice to have a
"Save with abstractions and external" menu entry that would search for
and save copies of used abstractions and maybe externals to a
directory, or at least print a list of used  abstractions and
externals, so that I can easily copy them somewhere else.

DesireData's Class Browser may be or evolve into such a thing.

Ciao