[SPAM:scrap/caution] Re: [PD] Iterative text with Gem?

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Tue Aug 8 18:43:29 CEST 2006

On 8/8/06, David Powers <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you explain how/why this memory leak exists?

Hahem,
When a symbol is sent for the first time, pd allocates memory for it
(in the symbols table). This memory is never freed until you stop pd.
I think this is used to speedup the process of sending several times
the same symbol. You know : no need to use different strings, just use
the same ! But it is a problem when you start creating many different
symbols. You might overload your memory. Therefore, yes, I would say
it would be more important to add a string type then a video type in
pd.

So my feature request is actually : a string type.

--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net