[PD] Real Time Composition Library

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 9 09:02:12 CEST 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, David Powers wrote:

> What is the legal status of a program that mimics another programs
> functions, but does not copy any of the actual source code or guts?

Morally, I consider that this is a god-given right.

Traditionally it has pretty much been a right (think about what the USA
Constitution says about intellectual property). However this system has
drifted over the years: I think I remember laws forbidding "reverse
engineering", but also, the DMCA is the biggest example. OTOH there are
rulings that specifically say that interfaces can't be copyrighted or
otherwise encumbered, and I would believe that this extends to imitation
of a complete program. (There were also some rulings on similar topics in
opposite direction... this may depend on who the judge happened to be each
time)

> I suppose in this case, asking permission would be a simple courtesy?

No, it would be lame, weak and wimpy to do so: copying an interface is not
a privilege, so you should not treat it as one, lest you encourage people
to treat it as one. It should be a right. Don't ask permission. Just
inform that you are going to make a clone and say thanks for coding the
originals and fax him a bouquet of flowers, but don't ask permission.