[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Aug 9 10:27:52 CEST 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I thought of that as well, but how do you deal with edits of a patch?
> Say you delete or recreate an abstraction instance, how should Pd know
> which abstraction is used for which saved data? Maybe Ben Bogart can
> say something about how he did it in picelTANGO, where auto-generated
> "tags" are in use as far as I understand.

I think the person who edits the patch (the "programmer") should be aware
of this, he should know that the settings for the first abstraction go
into the abstraction that is on the left, just as he knows that the
inlet/outlet that is on the left will be the first one.

Of course if you add an abstraction, there won't be any data for it
to load. Also, if you add the abstraction at the beginning, the whole
data will be shifted one abstraction.

If you remove one abstraction at the end, nothing happens, if you
remove it somewhere in the middle, the data will get loaded
differently.

Anyhow, not too different from adding and removing inlets and outlets.
I don't see a real problem with that approach, but maybe there's more ?

Günter