[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Aug 9 11:20:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:50:35AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> geiger hat gesagt: // geiger wrote:
>
> > I think the person who edits the patch (the "programmer") should be aware
> > of this, he should know that the settings for the first abstraction go
> > into the abstraction that is on the left, just as he knows that the
> > inlet/outlet that is on the left will be the first one.
>
> Urgh ...  ;)
>
> Urgh++ ;) ;)
>
> > Anyhow, not too different from adding and removing inlets and outlets.

I'm with Frank on this one; I think it's pretty non-intuitive that if
you add or remove abstractions, or even move them around your canvas
the save data of other abstractions is suddenly lost/trasnposed to a
different abstraction. That would confuse the heck out of artists and
instrument builders and just plain annoy programmers, in my opinion. The
only real solution I can see is a $0 type of argument that is generated
when a new abstraction is instantiated and saved with the abstraction
so that next time it gets loaded it has the same ID. Being slightly
frightened of Pd's sources I have no idea how much work this would be
though, or even if Miller would be interested in a patch to introduce
this new identifier.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx