[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Aug 9 14:14:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
> I'm with Frank on this one; I think it's pretty non-intuitive that if
> you add or remove abstractions, or even move them around your canvas
> the save data of other abstractions is suddenly lost/trasnposed to a
> different abstraction.
> That would confuse the heck out of artists and
> instrument builders and just plain annoy programmers, in my opinion.

Most of the time, if you have several abstractions of the same type in
a patch, they do the same thing, so nothing is lost. If your patch only
has one abstraction of each type, there is no problem anyhow.

> The
> only real solution I can see is a $0 type of argument that is generated
> when a new abstraction is instantiated and saved with the abstraction
> so that next time it gets loaded it has the same ID. Being slightly
> frightened of Pd's sources I have no idea how much work this would be
> though, or even if Miller would be interested in a patch to introduce
> this new identifier.

Hmm, I see, seems that we are talking about different problems here.
There is only one file where the abstraction is stored (lets say abs.pd).
Now you have a patch with 5 "abs", every single one with a different ID
but just one file (the abs.pd) to save them too.

ok, you could say that you save them all to the single file (ugly but
possible), but then how do you know which id corresponds to which
abstraction in the patch.

The only way you can distinguish these 5 abstractions in a patch is
by their position and the way they are connected to other objects.
Or, by naming them, which is what we currently do.

Günter