[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Aug 9 17:44:29 CEST 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, geiger wrote:
>
> > Yes, and I was against it because I am used to the ordering done in Pd.
> > I think unless you make real user studies this is personal taste. (but
> > then, who believes in user studies :)
>
> You see, the ordering done in Pd was also chosen because it was someone's
> personal taste. I don't see what's so inferior about my personal taste.

See, thats exactly what I wanted to say. Nothing is inferior about your
personal taste. If you think I wanted to imply that then tell me how,
and I try to make a clearer statement the next time.

> User studies... I'm a user, and I study myself, that's a user study.
>
> About the "real" ones... it's easy to skew them; it doesn't have to be
> intentional; one just has to be skilled, confident AND naïve. I mean:
>
> Pick users that never use pd, ask them to do tasks that never happen in
> real life, measure aspects that don't matter, but do so with everything in
> milliseconds and millimetres, proper sampling, compute standard deviation,
> compare to the bell curve, interpret hypotheses according to 95th centile,
> and WOW, you now have a perfectly realised study revolving around wrong
> assumptions.
>
> (No statistics book will mention those wrong assumptions, because they are
> domain-specific.)
>
> (ever measured a programmer's productivity by counting written lines of
> code? try measuring pd user productivity by counting how many objects
> there are in their patches. that's a technique used in industry.)

:) Yeah, but sad thing is I have seen that in other "non-industrial"
domains too. And it gets even worse, some people think that lines of
code is directly proportionial to quality.

Günter