[Pd] externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Aug 10 22:31:09 CEST 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:37 PM, geiger wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Not updated != not maintained. I think the information there
>>
>> These pages are out of date:
>>
>> http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/download.php
>>

> well, i have seen worse on the puredata.org page. all the links work,
> and point to the right resource.

But they are links to stuff that is deprecated and not maintained,
like the "externals" binary collection.  Please let me know if there
are any broken links on this page:

http://puredata.org/downloads

>> http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
>>

> this page has never been really finished. I would say 50%
> of puredata.org are in the same state.

Feel free to finish it! ;)

>>> is still valuable and easier to access than the WIKI. I am also
>>> missing the information about the trackers on the WIKI, but maybe
>>> I just didn't look hard enough.
>>
>> Ah, ok the trackers page isn't in puredata.org
>>
>> http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/trackers.php
>>
>> but it would be trivial to move it there.  Something like:
>>
>> http://puredata.org/dev/trackers
>>
>> There is already a link to the bug tracker:
>>
>> http://puredata.org/dev/bugtracker/
>>
>> I would happily move that page to puredata.org if you agree that we
>> can redirect pure-data.sourceforge.net to puredata.org
>
> Everything that avoids duplication is good for me.
>
> I think that puredata.org needs a bit more work than just
> copying the link to the feature and patch trackers.
>
> -) http://puredata.org/dev/ has several broken links (externals,
>    abstraction, etc, etc..

Its a wiki page, so anyone should feel free to correct such things.
You just need to make an account and log in.

> -) what is the difference between puredata.org/dev and
>    http://puredata.org/docs/developer/ ? its bad to have the
>    information in two different places. maybe we can merge this.

puredata.org/dev is not documentation, so it does not belong in the
docs section.   Developer docs go in docs/developer.  /dev/ is for
things related to development, like links to the trackers, wiki pages
for certain projects (Gem, PDDP, etc).

> -) Instead(or in addition) of having a link to a list of bugs, the bug
>    tracker should have a link to the bug submit page (same for feature
>    request and patches).

Sounds like a good idea.  Its a wiki page, feel free to edit it.

> In general I find the wiki pretty confusing, but maybe I am just too
> old and conservative. I would say we try to fix this, so that changing
> the link really is an improvement of the situation.

Yes, its not perfectly organized, that's for sure.  But most of it is
in wiki format, so its easy to update.  People should jump in and
clean up areas that they know something about.

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste