[PD] sending to arbitrary receivers

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Aug 11 07:21:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Orm Finnendahl hat gesagt: // Orm Finnendahl wrote:
>
> > my concerns are exactly the same as your's. My thoughts go along the
> > following lines:
> >
> > 1. add a right inlet to send the way you suggest (which wouldn't break
> >    anything).
> >
> > 2. if send gets initialized without argument, the first element of a
> >    received list is the target. This could break things although it
> >    seems rather unlikely that anybody ever used send without
> >    arguments, as any message received in such an object would get
> >    discarded.
>
> We already have this functionality as externals (sprinkler) and as
> a message-based solution, so I don't see the reason for such a patch.

Are you referring to the second proposal or to the whole patch ?
While I think that it is probably better not to implement the
sprinkler like behaviour, I think the second inlet would be a very
welcome addition.

I don't think that it would be harmful, just considering that Miller is
conservative in changing behaviour of objects it is more likely that the
patch gets accepted if it only implements the second inlet.

As my example with the array receiver showed, there is no elegant
solution without using externals.

But then, my case was certainly very special, the next time I would
do it with a script from outside Pd.

Günter