[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Fri Aug 11 07:15:08 CEST 2006

hey everyone

i'm setting out to build an automatic chord progression system - you tell
it to start in C Major, centre around E minor, with a given deviance
factor, and then bang it repeatedly and it spits out a new chord/voicing
each time you bang it, that makes harmonic sense and sounds good as a
progression.

(why? it struck me while i was listening to my friend's set the other night
that too much dance- or dance-derived music is harmonically static. simple
solution: make a quasi-intelligent system that knows what progressions
sound good, and get it to do all the work. imagining coupling it up to
fiddle~ and a vocalist..)

based on jazz harmony theory, which i have had the tiniest of nosies into,
this will involve encoding knowledge about all twelve scales, major and
minor, as well as the modes and relationships between them. before i start,
is there anything i should look at that might help, or solve the problem
for me, or make the whole idea irrelevant?

cheers

f r e y
live music with machines
http://www.frey.co.nz