[PD] arrays on 64 bit

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Aug 11 10:36:19 CEST 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, carmen wrote:
> > > it is better. [ ; asd 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8( , tabreads back as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 7,
> > > [ ; asd 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4( reads 1 2 3 4 4 4 4 4.
> >
> > You know that the first element is the position where to insert ?
>
> thats right then. the 1 2 3 would have been left over from the previous
> write, and the 4's start at position 4 (does array really start counting
> from 1 though?!)

No, it starts at 0. The first "4" should be a leftover from the old 1 2 3
4 ..

> i'll have to try to get audio working then, it was doing the
> 'audio stuck' thing with jack..

ah, yeah. In the early days there was an implementation where pd
just tried the "logical order" of interfaces by default.
So it tried jack, if it didn't succeed alsa, and if that failed too
OSS. This covered the different cases without startup options and
is a pretty good algorithm to figure out which audio interface the
user wants (at least you had sound after startup without fiddling with
the configuration).

> > Thanks for trying.
>
> thanks for the patch!..

Youre welcome, one of these days we all end up with a 64 bit processor,
so its not completely unselfish ..

Günter