[PD] Settable [catch~] and [s~]

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 14:48:51 CEST 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:50:06 +0200
IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> >  > On Aug 11, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> >  >
> >  >>
> >  >> Hi,
> >  >>
> >  >> This kind of follows on from the recent thread about settable [s]. One
> >  >> thing I have never understood about PD, is why only one side of the
> >  >> [catch~]/[throw~], [s~]/[r~] is settable, and why it is the sender
> >  >> with the former, and the receiver with the latter?
> >
> > because [s~]/[r~] is a 1-to-n connection (with n=0..N) and
> > [throw~]/[catch~] is a n-to-n connection.
>
> oops!, of course [throw~]/[catch~] is a n-to-1 connection.

This explains why you can't have multiple [catch~] or [s~] objects, but it doesn't explain why both ends of the connection can't be 'set' after the object has been instantiated. I can see how the existing scenario is useful if you want to [throw~] to a selection of fixed [catch~] objects, or [r~] from a selection of fixed [s~] objects. However, what happens if the number of buses isn't determined in advance? I want to have an arbitrary number of multiply instantiable abstractions containing [s~], [r~], [throw~] or [catch~] and control routings between them dynamically without patching.

Jamie