[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 18:35:04 CEST 2006

On 8/11/06, David Powers <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you do stick with triads, consider Wagnerian type
> sequences and chromatic cycles.

That would be something I think an intelligent program could handle;
having a repository of harmonies that serve to suspend/link any
tonality, and using them according to... I don't know... randomness?

> Or, listen to John Coltrane live solos on "Impressions", which goes
> {D minor, D minor, Eb minor, D minor} -- harmonically static, yet inclusive
> of all 12 notes (not too mention some sounds that can't really be described
> as notes per so).

'Kind of Blue' is another great harmonically static jazz album.  Not
exactly rave material, though.

> Also, any solutions will be trivial, if they do not have the possibility to
> produce bad results. It might be cooler, to have a computer spit out
> progressions, and you choose whether you like it. Perhaps a neural net could
> learn your taste in harmony?

That would be amazing.

> Technically, this sounds like a job for markov chains.

I'll look them up.

-Chuckk