[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 18:42:32 CEST 2006

Two things come to me right away.
One of the things Bach did was to start using certain notes that
implied a key change before there was any indication of momentum
towards a key change.  It's easy to work a Bb into a theme in C
without giving too much away.  Then when it happens, the change sounds
like it fulfilled some subtle destiny.  I have *no idea* how you could
do this with Pd.
You can get away with a lot of little borrowed progressions with jazz.
 Any chord whatsoever can be preceded by a dominant 7th, or a tritone
sub for a dominant 7th, and that in turn can be preceded by a minor
7th, or a tritone sub for that, and so on.  You could actually have
lots of momentary forays that would end up returning to the original
key.

Far easier to come up with ideas for it than to actually patch them...
-Chuckk

On 8/11/06, Damian Stewart <damian at frey.co.nz> wrote:
> hey everyone
>
> i'm setting out to build an automatic chord progression system - you tell
> it to start in C Major, centre around E minor, with a given deviance
> factor, and then bang it repeatedly and it spits out a new chord/voicing
> each time you bang it, that makes harmonic sense and sounds good as a
> progression.
>
> (why? it struck me while i was listening to my friend's set the other night
> that too much dance- or dance-derived music is harmonically static. simple
> solution: make a quasi-intelligent system that knows what progressions
> sound good, and get it to do all the work. imagining coupling it up to
> fiddle~ and a vocalist..)
>
> based on jazz harmony theory, which i have had the tiniest of nosies into,
> this will involve encoding knowledge about all twelve scales, major and
> minor, as well as the modes and relationships between them. before i start,
> is there anything i should look at that might help, or solve the problem
> for me, or make the whole idea irrelevant?
>
> cheers
>
> --
> f r e y
> live music with machines
> http://www.frey.co.nz

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt