[PD] Compile errors on Mactel

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 23:52:23 CEST 2006

This is actually using 0.39.2 and packages/darwin_app/Makefile AFAIK
(i.e. Pd-extended).  In that Makefile there is a make target and a
script which does a very nice job of finding which ever Wish.app you
want to use and building the Pd.app around that.  If you want it to
just set up a blank Pd.app, do this:

cd packages/darwin_app/
make darwin_app_wrapper

If you just want to build a straight Pd build with only sources from
the "pd" section, then you can do:

make darwin_app_core

I think I did find the problem with the build tho, I think it has to
do with this line from the included compile transcript:

>>>        -F/Library/Frameworks \

Its looking in /Library/Frameworks, which is where the manually
installed Tcl/Tk go.  his will have to change to try /System/Library/
Frameworks when appropriate.  The only Intel builds of the Tcl/Tk
Frameworks that I know are including by Apple in /System/Library/
Frameworks.

For now, you should be able to manually change that line to:

>>>        -F/System/Library/Frameworks \

.hc

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Yep, as of just now I have a decent "configure" checked in to CVS
> (the "main" branch.)  However, the makefile assumes that the source
> has already been thrown into a "Pd.app" hierarchy.  I have a junky
> script that does this automatically (starting from an archive of a
> "pd.app", copying a new source tree into it, and compiling) but should
> instead make a script that goes and gets the files from where they all
> originally came from.  For now, just download any "pd.app" for OSX
> 10.4
> (there's one on http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html for instance),
> replace the existing source tree with whatever version you like, then
> configure and make.
>
> cheers
> Miller
>

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 03:00:07PM -0500, chris clepper wrote:
>> Use the Tcl/TK found in /System/Library/Frameworks and not anything
>> downloaded from the internets.  You will have to edit the makefile
>> and/or
>> configure for this (I think Miller and I may have already talked
>> about and
>> perhaps fixed the configure part though).
>>
>> cgc
>>
>> On 8/11/06, David NG McCallum <d at mentalfloss.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello list!
>>>
>>> I've tried compiling Pd on an Intel Mac, and got the following
>>> error.
>>> Tcltkaqua 8.4.10's installed. Does the makefile think it's
>>> elsewhere? Any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> snowball:~/pd/pd/src david$ make
>>> cd ../obj && cc -dynamiclib -read_only_relocs warning  \
>>>        -o ../bin/libPdTcl.dylib t_main.o t_tkcmd.o  \
>>>        -F/Library/Frameworks \
>>>        -framework Tcl  -framework Tk  -framework System  \
>>>        -Wl,-install_name, at executable_path/../Resources/bin/
>>> libPdTcl.dylib
>>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> _Tcl_CreateCommand
>>> _Tcl_CreateFileHandler