[PD] Pd + jack GUI redraw (CCRMA FC4)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 19:10:47 CEST 2006

Interesting.  I was going to just write this off, but maybe someone
can explain it to me:
I compiled a real-time kernel, according to
http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto
I run Jack with realtime enabled, and run Pd with realtime enabled,
and bring up Pd's test tone.  I then click and drag the bar on the Pd
test tone window, and move it in circles, and immediately start
getting clicks and xruns.  It doesn't handle my sequencer too well,
either.  Every time I ask what needs to be done, I get one step, which
takes me a day to complete, and then find out I have to do another
step.
Is it really possible to have Linux set up so that all audio always
gets done before anything else, without exception?
It's frustrating that it works better for me in Windows after all
these unproductive days.

-Chuckk

On 8/11/06, Michael Berkowski <michael at berkowski.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's taken me a bit to narrow this down, and I haven't seen much in the
> archive related to this specifically, but I wondered if someone could
> shed some light on this GUI weirdness.
>
> While running Pd with Jack, the GUI redraw when using the mouse is
> highly erratic.  Typically, it will start out fine and I can move a
> slider or numberbox smoothly, but if I hold onto it for more than a few
> seconds, the redraw will start to pause and hang behind by increasing
> intervals.  Meanwhile, there aren't any audio dropouts or xruns, just
> the slow GUI.  No CPU spikes, either.
>
> I have found that if I constantly run a metro and a flashing button, the
> problem goes away since the GUI is forced to redraw at least as often as
> the metro beats, but I'd like to avoid doing this.
>
> I initially noticed this problem with the planetCCRMA pd and jack rpms
> (which are older versions, I think).  But I have since recompiled Pd,
> Jack, and tcl/tk from source and the problem persists.
>
> I'm using:
> 2.6.16-1.2080.13.rdt.rhfc4.ccrmasmp (FC4
> jackd -R -d alsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p2048 -n2  (doesn't seem to matter what
> jack params are used, RT or not)
> pd 0.39-2 compiled with alsa and jack support.
>
> I'd be thankful if anyone has an ideas before I try upgrading the kernel
> as a last resort.
>
> Best,
> Michael Berkowski

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt