[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 13 05:33:13 CEST 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> It's easy to work a Bb into a theme in C without giving too much away.

Indeed, often the VII is not played much, and until it is played at all,
you can't distinguish between a ionian and a mixolydian. If a melody is
supposedly in C ionian but doesn't contain a VII then you consider it as
being C mixolydian and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

That said, I'd like to say that mixolydian modes are extremely common, and
arguably more common than ionian ones nowadays! as a proof, think that a
7th chord defaults to mixolydian, and you have to call it "major 7th" for
it to mean ionian.