[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 14:41:24 CEST 2006

On 8/13/06, Marius Schebella <marius.schebella at chello.at> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard schrieb:
> > Two things come to me right away.
> > One of the things Bach did was to start using certain notes that
> > implied a key change before there was any indication of momentum
> > towards a key change.  It's easy to work a Bb into a theme in C
> > without giving too much away.  Then when it happens, the change sounds
> > like it fulfilled some subtle destiny.  I have *no idea* how you could
> > do this with Pd.
>
> if you use Bb in C, it is another chord, C7
> (C - C7 - F)

I have no idea how to make a patch that would insert pivot tones
somewhat randomly.
I like the neural net idea, where it just learns certain things
according to how well a user likes them, but I have no more clue how
to make that than the other.  Could it be made to notice similarities
it wasn't specifically told to notice?

> > You can get away with a lot of little borrowed progressions with jazz.
> > Any chord whatsoever can be preceded by a dominant 7th, or a tritone
> > sub for a dominant 7th, and that in turn can be preceded by a minor
> > 7th, or a tritone sub for that, and so on.  You could actually have
> > lots of momentary forays that would end up returning to the original
> > key.
>
> If you have a 4-bar period, and just just use a II-V-I progression like
> |Dm7 |G7 |Cmaj7|(Cmaj7)| (|Xy| = one bar)
> these harmonies can be substituted in many ways, like
> |D7|Db7|C6| or |D7 - Ab7|G7 - Db7|C| with two changes per bar.
> OTOH the other hand you could use substitutions for major harmonies by
> their parallel minor harmonies |Dm|Em|Am| and of course also the other
> way round |F7|B7|C|. some harmonies are weaker, some are stronger, so
> define, at which time you want to have stronger changes in harmony and
> when there should be little changes. then have other progressions,
> styles, tastes...
> m.

Of course, if all movement is by fifths and seconds, it will defeat
the original purpose, which was to make music that was less
predictable.  I think there'd have to be some movement by thirds, and
just plain using chords that aren't in the same key.  I'd actually
press for extended just tuning, if I were doing it (I'm not).
Damian, maybe it would be possible to simply have a melodic part that
occasionally receives information about harmonic changes before the
harmonic part does.
I like your idea, but I think it would take quite some time to realize
it.  I haven't checked out the Alexandre Quessy project mentioned
above.  Maybe a project like this would be more for doing it than for
having it, though, as so many computer music projects.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."