[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Sun Aug 13 19:33:03 CEST 2006

Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> a écrit :> maybe it would be possible to simply have a melodic part that
>occasionally receives information about harmonic changes before the
>harmonic part does

  In jazz music when we are accompagnating a melody,
  we use voices, for example a chord with four tones

  eg: C E G B

  could be played with three other combinations:

  E G B C, G B C E, and B C E G

  The highest note of the voice would be the note used in the melody.
  this example is one of the simpliest, we could also use the same way
  with thirteen chords, with seven sounds instead of four sounds, then
  there would have seven combinations for each chord.

  In fact we can give any color we like to a melody, it just depend on
  what kind of mode we are using for accompagnating it.

  eg: in 'Autumn Leaves' the first note is the third of the first chord,
  then it gives a sad color (minor third), but we can give another color
  with using another chord, for example we could use G7 instead
  of  Dm:

  Dm - G7 - CM7 - FM7 - Bm7b5 - E7 - Am becomes
  G7 -  C#° - FM7 - Bb7#5 -  Dm7 - Dm7M

  and then the automn leaves melody would sound more 'myxolydian'.

  Notice that some chords has to be modified for sounding better in that weird
  harmonic context.

  Patco.