[PD] Fun with additive synthesis

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 03:07:32 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

Attached is a simple nine-oscillator additive synth experiment in PD. It has
two interesting features:
1. The tuning is initially that of the ordinary harmonic series
(2/1,3/2,4/3,5/4, etc.) However, the tuning can be changed, with interesting
results.
2. A line~ object is used to control the amplitude of individual
oscillators, and the length of the ramp time can be set. This allows one to
create constantly mutating timbres.

Now, what I'd be curious to know is how I can get amplitude values in order
to do cheap simulations of various instruments (flute, cello, etc.). I know
this can be done with fft's, but I don't know how to get a simple list of
values between 0-1 that I can just plug into my additive synth. I'm sure you
can do that simply in PD, I just don't understand how.

What I really wish, is that I knew how to use SPEAR to do this kind of
thing.

~David