[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 07:10:14 CEST 2006

I recommend "The Jazz Piano Book" by Mark Levine. Even though it's a piano
book, it is really as much an applied theory book. I read this about 15
years ago, and it was great in presenting material I already knew in a
logical, concise way, and also in presenting some interesting new material.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0961470151/002-6698441-6121652?v=glance&n=283155

This guy also has a book strictly on jazz theory, I haven't read it but I
assume it's also good.

Basically, I need to make the disclaimer that theory is a trap in jazz.
Intuitive things tend to occur within improvisations, that theorists are
only beginning to understand. Also, bear in mind that the theory people have
discussed so far, would be of limited help in dissecting most jazz in the
last 50 years - such as a typical performance by the classic John Coltrane
Quartet. So if you aren't writing a thesis on the theory, you really need to
spend much more time listening to records and trying to see if you can
imitate what you hear;
Especially important to remember is that a lot of jazz is essentially
polytonal - i.e. due to substitutions, the bass, piano, and horn player may
for some spaces each be playing on DIFFERENT sets of changes!

To get back to PD: An AI interface that allowed for this would be far more
interesting than one that had all parts always performing identical
harmonies... The basic idea is that certain key points are convergence
points, such as the I chord at the top of the form - but in between each
instrument might veer off into their own interpretation of the harmony. Such
an approach sometimes works better with no piano player plunking out chords
- but some piano players are more flexible than others.

~David