[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 14:55:03 CEST 2006

On 8/14/06, Marius Schebella <marius.schebella at chello.at> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard schrieb:
> > On 8/14/06, David Powers <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > was Arnold Schoenberg's 'Theory of Harmony'.
>
> I don´t think classical harmony is of any interest for pop music. except
> maybe voicings and thoughts on polyphony. What maybe is interesting with
> Schoenbergs theory is his work on formal structure in the book "Stil und
> Gedanke"/"style and idea" talking about motives, melodies, time,
> repetition, formal ideas. (naa, I would not recommend that really...)

I don't know, I loaned that book to my jazz pianist roommate freshman
year and never got it back.  He claimed to find a lot of useful stuff
in it.  I don't recall any tritone subs, but there was a lot of other
wild stuff.
Actually, if "classical" would include Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, or
Schoenberg, then it was at least of interest to Gershwin (who begged
some of these "classical" types to teach him).
One thing I like about Schoenberg's book, as opposed to most theory
handbooks, is that it offers a basic explanation of harmonics and the
physics behind the major scale (before abandoning it).  Such an
explanation can be found easily online, but I like the idea that a
music student might find value in it.

> Maybe more effective would be to listen to artists you like to "copy"
> and analyse their chords and then have a "style" in your chord
> progressions system like "gershwin", "beatles", "bryan adams", "bjork"
> with some weighings of progressions, distributions of modes...

I was actually thinking it would be simpler just to make a patch that
plays a 2-second clip of a random Beatles song when it receives a
bang.  Lots of variety, and I think John Lennon would strongly
approve.
-Chuckk