[PD] Fun with additive synthesis

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 22:20:06 CEST 2006

Is anyone able to provide a simple example of HOW I do this in PD? I don't
really understand the maths, and Miller Puckette's chapter in his techniques
book is way over my head. I've already tried looking at the example patches
in PD, they don't really help. Is there a way to produce some kind of list
of the harmonics in a signal and their relative strength in PD? Would this
require a lot of programming?

In a program like Plogue Bidule or Reaktor, I can perform fft
analysis/resynthesis without really understanding what's going on. I'm sure
PD is more powerful, but some help on this would be great, since I'm just an
auto-didact with all this stuff. Ten years ago, I was taught how to program
a giant Moog, splice tape from reel-to-reels, and do basic sampling and
sequencing on digital gear at the university; it was great, but it's not all
that helpful in this digital world I've entered!

~David