[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 23:42:04 CEST 2006

I've been playing jazz piano for 16 years, I started at age 15 getting paid
to play. Here are a set of simple rules you could use to generate harmony
that would generally reflect what jazz piano players actually play on gigs.

First of all, one generally should not play the root at the bottom of the
chord. This leaves the structure more open to substitions and melodic
variation in the bass.

Second, a piano player does not REALLY play Cmaj7, when the changes say
that, he plays some coloristic variation on that. The only notes that need
to occur to define a progression, are either the 3rd and 7th, or 3rd and
6th. All others are open to variation.

With those in mind, here are some typical chords:

[Cmaj7]
E G B
E A B
E A D
E G B D
E G A D
E F# B

[Cmin7]
Eb G Bb
Eb Bb D
Eb A D
Eb F Bb
Eb G Bb D
Eb G A D
Eb F Bb D

[C7]
E Bb D
E F# Bb
Bb E A
E G Bb D
E F# Bb D
E A Bb D
F# A Bb D (no 3rd)
F A Bb D (a C7sus, which can be substituted often)

[...if the C7 functions as a V7, then it will probably be altered, b13, #9
or b9, as below...]
E Bb D#
E Bb Db
E F# Bb Db
E G Bb Db
E A Bb Db
E A Bb D#
E Ab Bb D#
E Ab Bb Db
F A Bb Db (C7susb9, another substition that will have more tension than
ordinary C7)

And that is about it for the normal arsenal of chords, excepting quartal and
So What chords, and a few other tricks that are more about superimposing
harmony then playing the harmony as given.

This info would give pretty realistic modern voicings, when combined with
some idea of voicing - not voice leading per se, but avoiding big jumps
between chord voicings. Hope this info is helpful, I don't want to clog up
PD list with too much of this kind of thing...

~David