[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 15 09:43:55 CEST 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> So when you say a mixolydian feel in lydian, are you saying put a flat 7
> in the melody?

IMHO, a lydian is a backwards mixolydian in the sense that they're both on
either side of the ionian mode, if you map the ecclesiastic modes on the
circle of fifths: F:lydian, C:ionian, G:mixolydian... if you remove
VII from ionian, it may as well be mixolydian, and likewise, if you remove
IV from lydian, it may as well be ionian. Any pair of adjacent modes
on the circle of fifths are only different by one degree, and which
degree it is also follows the circle of fifths: IV and VII are a fifth
apart.

If you leave a degree out in a lydian, you can make it sound like it's a
ionian, and then the real ionian next to it would immediately sound like
it's mixolydian, right?

Else, I have no clue how lydian and mixolydian are related.

I don't understand music.