[PD] jittering sensors

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Aug 15 23:06:06 CEST 2006

If all the IRQ stuff that was just suggested doesn't make you happy, try
this:

[sensor input]

[pack 0 n]     (where 'n' = the time in miliseconds you would like your
signal smoothed by)

[line]     (or [line~] if you are using it to control an audio signal]

[expr x]  (where 'x' is some math to get the numbers where you need them)

[whatever happens next]

You could also explore [pow] or some of the other maths to do the job of
[expr] if you aren't a math whiz. The [line] object is really handy to
smooth out a jumpy signal. Try different values of interpolation (i.e.
the 'n' in the [pack] object), depending on how fast you need a response
versus how jumpy the input is. There used to be a [speedlim] object that
also did this nicely and was really designed for sensor input, but the
maintainer (Johannes Taelmann) doesn't seem to be maintaining it (and
has dropped off the face of the Earth as far as PD in concerned
unfortunately!).

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl