[PD] 2d panner for 10 channels

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Aug 17 21:04:25 CEST 2006

Hi Alex,

Alexandre Matheson wrote:
 > hello,
 >
 > I want to build a patch that can diffuse an input from a microphone to a
 > 10 channel speaker array. Ideally I'd like to do this with a 2d gui such
 > as grid or maybe the gem window with gemmouse. I have done quad panner's
 > in the past with no problems but I'm stumped at doing it for 10 channels.
 >
 > does one already exist?

Have a look at the VBAP externals. You can define channels and positions
fairly easily. The one problem with such vector-based systems is a kind
of flip/flop that happens in the middle: imagine moving a sound through
the center of the room rather than around the periphery. When it gets to
the middle, it "jumps" from the speakers on one side to the other. But
for most purposes VBAP is alright.

best,
d.

--