[PD] pd-based procedural chord progression database..

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 18 17:45:25 CEST 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> This looks interesting:
>> http://mto.societymusictheory.org/issues/mto.04.10.3/mto.04.10.3.callender.pdf
>>
>> Also the orbifold thing, I wonder if a kind of random walk on an
>> orbifold could be implemented in pd...
>
> Are orbifolds mentioned in the paper? which page?
No, that was another link I couldn't find right then. Here is one
reference with nice pictures:
http://www.ruccas.org/pub/Gogins/score_generation_in_voiceleading_orbifolds.pdf

> I tried reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbifold, skipping the
> physics parts, and although I can say that it looks like a reasonable
> definition for that thing, I have no clue what it's useful for, and
> certainly not anything music-wise. What do you do with R^n subset
> quotients that have anything to do with music?

It looks like voice-leading orbifolds are a special type of orbifold.
They seem to be used more by theorists to justify intuitively generated
compositions after the fact than as tools for composition.

Martin