[PD] Re: OSC & network stuff

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 19 23:28:07 CEST 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>> i wouldn't try to implement the tr1 typetags with one file per class ...
> didn't have my first coffee, yet ... i meant type traits
> www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1745.pdf

Yeah, and every case of writing one-liner classes, e.g. most
Exception classes (have empty bodies).

Small purely abstract classes (interfaces) are also annoying to have in
separate files.

The "One class per file" rule is a kind of placebo for those who don't
know enough means of keeping their code clean. That, or company policy, or
working in a language that doesn't support putting two classes in one file
(e.g. Pd).

The issue is moot if there are means to handle large numbers of files as
efficiently as what can be done with a single file in an ordinary text
editor. In that sense, the rule may be used to justify the use of big IDE
software.