[PD] Definition of "scalar" in data structures

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 23 22:43:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, David Powers wrote:

> Ok, so far so good. Except, as far as I can tell, a "scalar" in PD is
> a composite variable, right?

One man's scalar is another man's collection...

You'll find the definition of scalar to be vaguely the same everywhere,
but people won't agree on what's composite and what's not.

In PureData's DS, a "scalar" is a struct which is not in an array.

> As far as I can tell, a scalar is to a PD structure, as an instance is
> to a class definition in OOP. Is that right or way off?

It's half right. Every array element is also an instance of a struct.