[PD] Re: Soft Rock EP

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Thu Aug 24 02:26:16 CEST 2006

Hi Paris,

Paris Treantafeles wrote:
> Hi Claude,
>
> Thanks for the background info.
>
> The Maciunas film is great but I think your work is sufficiently
> different :-)
>
> The idea of creating a customizable DVD is very cool. I can imagine
> allowing users to control parameters in audio/video, etc. and create
> something fun.

Yes, that's the idea, it will still be recognizably the same work, but
(hopefully) different enough to be interesting.

> As for the steps that you took - I wonder if you could please explain
> saving the ppm files in Gridflow.
> I have looked at
> http://gridflow.ca/latest/doc/format.html
> and just couldn't figure it out.
> I was trying to do something similar with jpegs and
> sending messages like:
>
> [open jpeg testfile(
>
> and
>
> [format jpeg(
>
> to an
>
> [#out]
>
> object but had no luck.
> I'm sure I'm just being stupid but any help would be appreciated!
>
> I know that saving the files will slow things down considerably but
> would still like to know how it's done :-)

Attached is a simple example that saves a sequence of image files to
/tmp , I hope it helps.  The key is using:

"open <format> file <filename>"

You need the keyword "file" to distinguish from things that aren't
files.  The keyword "gzfile" can be used instead, which will use gzip to
compress the file.  For example, for gzip'd TGA files you can use "open
targa gzfile blah.tga.gz" (if this doesn't work, my memory is
flawed...).  I think other keywords are available/planned, for things
like UDP and or TCP connections, but I've never used them.

> Thank and best,

Thanks,

Claude