[OT] Re: [PD] PD convention book on amazon.de

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Aug 24 07:40:37 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:07:11PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> >Yves Degoyon wrote:
> >>i don't want one myself,
> >sorry, in my ardour i was a bit biased towards western market
> >strategies, and only thought of those who would want a copy (already
> >hearing the gold jingle-jangling in my moneybag)
>
> You know, eastern market strategies are also the same. Maybe you want to
> contrast Terrean market strategies with those of, say, Uranus.
>
> Over there in Uranus, markets work magically without money. People just
> give away and there are enough copies for everybody.

You must be just baiting Yves, because I seriously cannot beleive that
you can't imagine a society without a monetary currency. You should
read the Iain M Banks book "The Algebraist" where the only economy that
truly advanced societies deal in is the currency of 'kudos'. I find this
notion very convincing and sincerely hope that it's the future of our own
society. Think forwards to a time when technology has eliminated scarcity.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

I'm glad you didn't make a joke about sending a Pd powered missile to
Uranus. ;)

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx