[PD] [urn] in Zexy vs. [urn] in maxlib, cyclone and Max/MSP

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 28 11:37:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

while porting RTC-lib, I've found, that the [urn] object in Zexy
behaves slightly different from the one used in Max, Maxlib and
Cyclone.

The difference is small but can be nasty:

[urn] in Max, maxlib and cyclone does not send out a random number if
the urn is empty and the right outlet bangs. To clear the [urn] and
start with a fresh supply, one has to manually send a "clear" message
in Max.

[urn] in zexy however does send the new nummber directly and also
automatically clears the urn.  There seems to be an undocumented
"noauto" flag in zexy-urn to control this behaviour. This flag
defaults to "automatic", but I would suggest to make it default to the
"manual" mode as in the other three [urn]s use to avoid confusion.

Nameclashes are bad only, if the behaviour you get differs.

Ciao