[PD] OT: any advice on HP notebook for PD visuals?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 28 17:55:14 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Paris Treantafeles hat gesagt: // Paris Treantafeles wrote:
>
>> Sorry for yet another laptop question (there are many in the
>> archives), but since specs change often, I thought I'd ask.
>>
>> I'm in need of a new laptop.
>> I use Pd/Gem/PiDiP/Gridflow for visuals and run Debian.
>>
>> My preferences are:
>>
>> 1. AMD processor
>
> You may want to reconsider this: When targetting Linux then
> Intel-laptops are a much better choice because you get good open
> source drivers and support for most hardware out of the box.

i cannot reproduce this.
the only closed-source drivers you usually will come across are graphics
card and w-lan (see below). i never had any problems with any other
component on AMD-based systems (even if the mb-chipset is by nvidia, you
will get everything to run with a stock (GPL) kernel)

graphics cards: of course you can go for intel, but these chips are just
crap compared to state-of-the-art technology by nvidia and/or radeon.
both of these cards come with proprietary drivers if you want to take
advantage of this hardware. if you prefer open source drivers, they are
available as well (but not so good).
i don't know for sure, but i guess that using an nvidia card with "nv"
(==OS) drivers won't behave worse than intel gfx cards with their OS
drivers.
if you seriously want to do Gem, then you also want a gfx card that
supports openGL. you don't have much choice.

wlan: i think that here the intel chipsets are best (open-source like);
however you could be lucky and your non-intel wlan card is supported too.

mfg.adsr
IOhannes

PS: pd-ot