[PD] OT: any advice on HP notebook for PD visuals?

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Mon Aug 28 21:29:32 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>Paris Treantafeles hat gesagt: // Paris Treantafeles wrote:
>

>>Sorry for yet another laptop question (there are many in the
>>archives), but since specs change often, I thought I'd ask.
>>
>>I'm in need of a new laptop.
>>I use Pd/Gem/PiDiP/Gridflow for visuals and run Debian.
>>
>>My preferences are:
>>
>>1. AMD processor
>>

>You may want to reconsider this: When targetting Linux then
>Intel-laptops are a much better choice because you get good open
>source drivers and support for most hardware out of the box.
>
>Ciao

I've a custom built desktop pc and an HP laptop both with AMD chips. No
probs so far.

On the desktop pc I use mostly Slackware but sometimes I boot into Suse
10.0 (for the apps that take more advantage of the 64bit addressing). On
the laptop I have only Slackware installed.

Having experience with both Nvidia and Ati cards, I suggest you to look
for a laptop with an Nvidia. I've never had problems with the NVidia
drivers on linux so far.

Instead, my HP Pavilion 8002AE has an Ati card and I had some problems
when I tried to upgrade to the latest drivers (maybe the driver is
buggy, or I made something wrong configuring it). Haven't tried the
s-video output yet. Everything else (apart from the multi card reader)
works.

Ciao,

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com

On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT
        -- Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo, restrugo at fateware.com